- 2 medium apples, 1/2-inch cubed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups (loosely packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (Grape Nuts work well, too)
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water to blend (for glaze)
- Sugar and cinnamon
- Toss first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Roll out the dough onto the parchment. Spoon filling onto half of the pastry round. Brush edges of pastry lightly with some of egg glaze. Fold other half of pastry over filling; press on edges to seal and enclose filling completely, then press tines of fork along pastry edge to create tight seal. Using tip of a knife, cut a few 1/2-inch-long slits in top of crust. Brush top with egg glaze, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake turnover until crust is puffed and golden and juices are bubbling through slits in crust, about 25 minutes. Carefully run metal spatula under turnover to loosen and transfer to rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I did the recipe again, using two frozen puff pastry sheets instead (one for the top and one for the bottom). It was EVEN BETTER!!! There was a bit of filling left over, so I baked those separately in Pyrex custard cups. Also, cooking time increased – it was more like 40 minutes.